Great smokers

marcelo

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 am

I had prepared this thread just before access to the LL had been interrupted last March:

The suggested title for this thread may strike some fellow members as an oxymoron. Yet, I think that the smoking stance in the images bellow adds a lot of panache to the gentlemen they depict.

F. Sinatra

Sartre (by Cartier Bresson)

Nöel Coward

Bond's Father

Bond's Father, again

Howard Carter

Mr Wilde

Churchill

Ibid (1929)

Ibid (1949)

Thomas Mann

Mr Hackett (by Scott Schumann)

Edward Fox as Edward VIII
storeynicholas

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:37 am

Some great pictures. The modern screen Bond can be seen gulping gargantuan measures of Bourbon 'down in one' and that's still OK, on health grounds - as it seems to be OK on general safety grounds to have Bond tearing around in the Aston Martin after a few Vesper martinis on top. The films are devoid of any smoke at all - even though smoking seems to have been important both to Bond and to his creator. Last night we saw a DVD of Casablanca - I think that the modern world should remake it and clean it up - not the illicit love affair; not Rick Blaine's drunkenness - but all that terrible smoke: they should bring the film up to date and take the smoke out of Casablanca. If they cannot delete the smoke from the scenes, they should remake it - who actually needs Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Sidney Greenstreet, Conrad Veidt, Peter Lorre and Dooley Wilson: let's have smokeless and go with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman - and if they do detest each other all the better for the mood of the shots - but just cut all that disgusting smoke. As for Now Voyager - who needs the moon or the stars when you can't light-up two cigarettes at once?
NJS
marcelo

Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Fleming used to smoke about 70 cigarettes a day. After having been once told by his doctor to cut his daily amount of nicotine, he is reported to have said: “The proper function of life is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use the time”.
pvpatty

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:40 am

For those interested, I would highly recommend the wonderful book 'Churchill's Cigar', available here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Churchills-Ciga ... 0230528929. There is even a town in Australia named Churchill that has a giant cigar-like object in the town square!
Jordan Marc

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Bishop of Briggs:

Did you know that Rachmaninov refused to concertize on Sunday evenings in the United States? It had nothing to do with being superstitious; he was simply addicted to Jack Benny's comedy show on radio. There's a diehard fan for ya!

JMB
shredder

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:58 am

Not to be outdone by his neighbour in Jamaica and the fatty that denied him his knighthood the first time round... :lol:
storeynicholas

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:47 pm

I thought that he was denied the knighthood for so long because of some infraction of wartime currency restrictions - or do you think that was just an excuse?
NJS
shredder

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Michael Caine
Gary Cooper
Last edited by shredder on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
storeynicholas

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Here are some more. Anyone have to hand that great Tallulah Bankhead photograph of her smoking and narrowing her eyes in a plume of smoke?

Clive Brook.

Jack Buchanan.

Terry-Thomas.

Peter Finch.

Lord Grade.

NJS.
marcelo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 am

Sir Arthur John Gielgud - notice the coat sleeves mit cuff.

shredder

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 am

storeynicholas wrote:Here are some more. Anyone have to hand that great Tallulah Bankhead photograph of her smoking and narrowing her eyes in a plume of smoke?
NJS.
I think I know which one you're thinking of but don't have it... Here's another one of TB that's not half bad either.

Rudolph Valentino

Garbo wouldn't be a bad addition to the thread?
marcelo

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:42 pm

shredder wrote:... Garbo wouldn't be a bad addition to the thread?
[1959]
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Bogart:

Bacall:

and Mitchum:

Gloria Swanson:

FDR:

Charles Gray as Blofeld:

Lucy:

Steve:

Ray Milland