Spoils of Napoli

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Cappelli prints:

Rubinacci cashmere on the left, the rest Cappelli cashmere:

Vintage pocket square, gift from Patrizio Cappelli:

Rubinacci HMS Victory square:

Marinella prints, selected with Maurizio Marinella's input:

Not pictured:

Six Solito fittings, seven Ambrosi fittings, one NSM suit fitted and brought home.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Napoli Su Misura suit, 15 ounce mid-gray shark (Tip Top).

manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Solito DB, Draper's 11/12 woolen flannel.

manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 pm

General impressions.

The physical setting of the bay, the peninsulas, the islands, and the hills behind is spectacular. But the place is a mess. It's extremely dirty. Yes, there are piles of garbage everywhere, even in some of the ritziest areas. There is also loose garbage everywhere. Nobody cleans up after dogs. There are also a million strays. They seem to rule the town.

The graffiti problem is staggering. There seems to be no surface within reach of a human arm that is not tagged. Nothing is immune--public monuments, churches, Roman ruins, it's all defaced. The most amazing thing was that inside ancient buildings in Herculenaum -- these are buildings dating to ancient Rome -- people have graffitied. WTF? WTF?

There are some very lovely public spaces and streetscapes. Why they don't take better care of their town I cannot say.

The city is at once very foreign and very homogenous. Foreign in that there is no international feeling or presence at all. It's not like Rome or Milan (or Paris or London or New York). It's hard to find English language newspapers, even the FT, which I thought was ubiquitous throughout Europe. It does not feel like most of Europe, which is teeming with foreigners and Americans. In fact, it gets very few tourists and virtually no business travelers. A guide who took me around one day said that the tourist trade fell off a cliff decades ago and has never recovered. I know from reading that Naples used to be a major stop on the fabled "Grand Tour." English families would stay for weeks or longer, the principle attractions being the good weather and the Roman ruins. Not anymore. Cruise ships come into the harbor and take groups on tours to Pompeii but those are very tightly scripted. You just don't see tourists walking around as you would in any significant city from Rome north. You also see close to zero foreign-brand stores or restaurants.

I know Naples was founded by the Greeks has, historically, been ruled by French and Spanish dynasties but it's hard to see the traces today. The place is thoroughly, totally Italian. There are no immigrants. No one but hotel clerks and people in the most expensive shops speak English. There just is no need. I was able to get by with my book-learned pidgin Italian. It's not that hard.

I should say that one aspect of Spanish culture does remain: the town absolutely shuts down from 1 pm to 4 pm. Only the cafes and the the restaurants stay open. This is not really siesta time so much as time for everyone to go home for lunch. I gather it is a product of Naples' historic poverty. Families would go home to eat, even kids from school, because it's simply cheaper. So the long break not only allows for a long lunch but also travel time. The more affluent go to the restaurants.

Speaking of which. There is no Neapolitan equivalent of "fine dining" as one would find in NYC, London, Paris, Rome and the like. Nearly all of the places are, by our standards, absurdly cheap. They are also extremely similar. Mainstays are of course the famous pizzas, pasta, seafood, and simple preparations of veal and chicken, mostly pounded out flat, sauteed and served with a simple sauce. "Bistecca" will get you a thin-cut T-bone, quickly sauteed and served with drizzled oil, S&P and lemon juice. Quite different from the Bistecca Fiorentina.

I don't want to go on about the pizza, which has been the subject of much (some of it absurd) commentary here. Except to say that it was delicious, and not quite as radically different from NY-style pizza (which was invented by Neapolitan immigrants). Yes, it's different, but the idea that it's a wholly different food is overblown. The main differences are the cheese (it's not grated but rather thin slices of whole mozzarella), the tomatoes are much tastier (pureed whole, not sauce) and the dough is thinner, airier and chewier.

Because there are no tourists (at least few from outside Italy), there are no tourist restaurants. Anywhere you go is likely to be at least OK, and more or less authentic. I'm sure everyone has their "This is the best place, you must go here, OMG!!!" recs. I'm sure some of them are really good. But choosing most of my stops more or less at random, I never had a bad meal.

I noticed a great many small markets, butcher shops, pasta shops, wine shops, etc. Of course I had no kitchen so I had no way to cook and didn't buy anything, but the quality looked amazing. Prices were low.

I've mentioned earlier that its reputation for danger struck me as seriously overblown. I walked around everywhere, including in the Spanish Quarter and Spaccanapoli and never felt the least bit threatened. I don't think I am all that intimidating.

The streets are mostly very narrow. Many of them are mobbed with people and are, for all intents and purposes, pedestrian malls. Except they aren't. Cars go everywhere. Down streets you can't even see how they fit. Many streets that really ought to be one way are not. Many plazas are open to cars. They sometimes put up barriers, but if a car can fit around those, it will do it. The drivers are all nuts.

The streets in the Spanish Quarter are especially tight. I think if I stood in the middle on some of them my outstretched arms could touch the buildings on either side.

People really tend to live on the streets. That is, apart from the witching hour, when I was the only one out there. By 5 pm the streets are teeming again and they stay that way late. The place is mobbed with kids. Naples is unusual for Italy (which has a very low birthrate) in that the population is young. Lots of kids. Lots of toy stores and baby stores.

The kids are not punks. I would have to walk through waves of them after late dinners and never felt uncomfortable. They are not drunk, not fighting, not ill behaved at all. I saw much smaller crowds in Northampton by comparison that were really intimidating and that I tried to avoid.

It does appear that no one in Italy gets drunk, ever.

I was there to do some stuff with the Navy. I won't dwell on this point except to say that the Commander of the 6th Fleet's villa in Posillipo was really spectacular.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Needless to say, I did not see the entire city or even close. It's pretty big and the suburbs go on a ways. I saw some of the burbs around two of the naval bases. Fairly unremarkable.

The heart of the town is ... well, it depends who you ask. Really, there are two. There is the original Greek settlement (8th Century BC) on a small island now called Castel dell'Ovo. Then there is the Spaccanapoli, which are the tiny streets around the Duomo (medieval cathedral) a good ways up from the bay. One of the streets in this district, Via Tribunale, runs along the course of an ancient Roman street. This was the heart of medieval Naples.

Ironically, neither of these is really the center of town today. My sense was that the Piazza Plebiscito is really the true heart of Naples today. The only other contender would be the Piazza del Municipio. Another castle is there, the Castel Nuovo. It's quite close to the others but feels just a little off the beaten track and sort of empty by comparison. Plebiscito on the other hand is a real hub that connects three important districts. It's also home to Cafe Gambrinus, the most famous cafe in the city.

Digression on cafes: they are everywhere. Espresso is the official drink of Naples. They do not call it espresso. It is simply "caffe." Coffee as we know it does not exist (except at the US Navy base, and theirs is ... not good). All the caffes have what look to be 19th century hand crank press machines to make the coffee. It is ridiculously good. At many places, if you do not specify otherwise, they will load it with brown sugar. The little spoons are to ensure that it dissolves properly. If you don't stir the hell out of the caffe, it will form a crust at the bottom like the top of a creme brulee. I preferred mine without the sugar. The going rate--charged everywhere--is 90 cents (euro cents). Although service is included most everywhere, you are expected to leave the 10c change as a tip. Not to do so marks you as a dick. The Neapolitans are somewhat carefree with money. At some places I was slightly overcharged. At others, I got more change than I was owed. At one caffe in the Galleria Umberto, I paid one Euro for a 90c cafe and got 50c change simply because the cashier had a 50c piece on the counter and was too lazy to get the right coin from the register. I gave the change as a tip. I figured it probably all evened out in the end.

EVERYBODY is in the caffes around 5 pm. They are mobbed. Procedure is you pay, take your change and receipt, fight your way to the bar, put receipt and coin down, shout at a barrista, who takes your receipt and money and serves you a caffe and a half glass of water (fizzy, typically), then you drink the caffe out of the tiny porcelain cup in two or three sips, then go onto the street into traffic and regale various acquaintances.

Everyone seems to know everyone. It's a big town but a small town. I walked around a lot with Dino and Mina and they were stopped constantly. Everyone kisses everyone. The men even kiss the men. This freaked me out. I don't even like to kiss girls, I'll be damned if I am going to kiss boys.
Last edited by manton on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 pm

One or two more random observations.

Apparently, the city used to be overrun by food carts, people selling cheap food on the streets. Sort of like Manhattan today. These are gone. At least I didn't see any. However in Spaccanapoli and the Spanish Quarter there were lots of "restaurants" that were bascially just counters open onto the street. No seating inside (or anywhere). You walk up and order and give your name. Then you stand around and wait for them to shout for you. Some of these places were mobbed--literally a hundred people waiting. Two of the most famous pizzerias are on Via Tribunale and both were totally overwhelmed with people eating on the street (which is about 2" wide). Again, no tourists.

There is a booming business of religious iconography. Whole streets in Spaccanapoli were nothing but stall after stall selling this stuff. The amount of Christmas decorations for sale was also staggering. As were the number of people shopping. Some of the streets were packed wall to wall with people and moved at a glacial pace. In old Naples they still like it the God.

At the party at the Admiral's villa, he introduced all the Navy people who helped out. There were two cooks. Now, the Navy is known for having the best food in the military. This may sound like "best dressed person in WYWN". Certainly there is an element of that. But they really do make an effort. As an aside, I will note that I have eaten on ships many times, and the WH Mess is run by the Navy. Not bad. My great uncle ran the Navy kitchens and Pearl in WW2 and provisioned ships coming in and out. He gained enough of a reputation to start restaurant in Honolulu after the war which became very successful. He later opened branches in San Francisco and Seattle. Seattle is still open and owned by the family. Anyway, it turned out one of the cooks was from my home town and the other, the Navy had put through the CIA (the cooking school, not the spy agency). The kid from my town was getting out of the Navy next year and using the education money to go to the CIA campus in Napa Valley. I spent most of the party talking to them about California and food.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:33 pm

OK, there are two main shopping districts. The really ritzy one is Chiaia, west of the center of town. This is where Rubinacci, Marinella and many of the famous stores are. The other is north of the center, along the Via Toledo, a "new" street by Naples standards but one that is arguably the town's most important. It's a bit more down market than Chiaia but there are many good stores there.

To south, connecting the two areas, is St. Lucia. This is a strange district. The western half is all landfill, with expensive apartment buildings and along the waterfront, the city's most expensive hotels (or most of them). Behind that is a hill which my guide told me was a mobbed up tenement neighborhood. It certainly looked shabby compared to the nice buildings around it.

Solito is in a palazzo on the Via Toldeo, quite close to the center of the city. There are lots of these buildings in Naples, former private homes of various aristocrats that are now apartments and shops. Most of them have no stores that open onto the street. Rather, in business hours, the enormous doors will be open and you go into the courtyard. There are A LOT of shops in these courtyards that are not visible from the street. If you don't know how to find them and aren't looking for them, you would miss them.

Solito's atelier is actually not even in the courtyard but up on the first (that is, second) floor. You go up a rather impressive stone staircase. He's got two small rooms, very nicely appointed. The first is a little foyer with elegant furniture, a bookcase full of cloth, a little sitting area and a table with the cloth books. There aren't that many. On the bookshelf he had a lot of cloth marked "Carnet" (an Italian distributor) that I instantly recognized as Minnis, which if you ask them they say they can't get. So apparently Minnis as a brand does not exist in Italy but the cloth is still sold there. The second room has his cutting table and the mirrors.

He has another apartment in the building one flight up. This is where the workrooms are, where his sewing tailors work. It's also where all the fittings and a lot more cloth is kept. All my stuff was there when I showed up.

Everything was basted with no top collar, so I could clearly see that the intercollar was hand padded, not machine. Interestingly, all the suits--mine, everyone's--had only one sleeve attached for the fitting. I gather this is the Naples way. I can't recall if I saw the same thing at Rubinacci, but I did at other shops. However, for fittings in New York Solito brought the coats with both sleeves. I didn't think to ask why the difference.

At one point Gennaro asked if I wanted coffee. I said yes and ten minutes later a girl in a uniform with a service tray knocked on his door. I have no idea where she came from. Amazing! Delicious too.

A good number of customers came and went as I was there. He has a very elegant clientele who appear to be devoted to him. These were locals, not iGents, but I guess you could say they dress like iGents, or we dress like them.

His customers have good taste in cloth. I saw no gigolo clothing, no awful patterns or terrible colors. Lots and lots of flannel was cut and waiting for fittings, really nice flannels. Not so much tweed, mostly just blue and gray suits.

Gennaro always wears his jacket as he cuts. I saw him three days in a row. Thursday and Friday, he was in a full suit and tie. Saturday, he had on a jacket and an open-collared shirt. He does not speak English but his son Luigi does.

Luigi conducted my fittings. I gather that the old man considers me to be "Luigi's" customer. He stayed in the room and observed and occasionally made suggestions or comments but by and large he let Luigi do the fittings. Everything looked fine. No major problems just tweaks here and there. Not surprising since they made my first suit with one fitting and I thought it was close to perfect. They also altered a suit I brought back to them (the flannel DB) that I thought had been made a hair too big in the waist.

I am sorry to let everybody down but ... I did not go around to all the tailors beyond a few. I wanted to visit Panico but I didn't make it. It's really not convenient at all. I happened into the ones I saw if they didn't look busy. Beyond that I didn't see the point in going into people's workshops (who don't speak English) when I knew I had no intent to place an order. It also would have been time consuming, as there are so many of them and they are scattered all over.

From what I gathered, Rubinacci is source of envy and pride to the Naples Sartorial scene. Pride because it is Naples' most successful brand that is not mass market (everyone despises Kiton and Borrelli), envy because people are amazed that they can get away with charging that much. No other tailor in Naples comes close. Rubinacci is respected for still making "real" bespoke though.

Formosa has the best reputation among the rest. It has virtually no brand outside Naples. They are located in the same little courtyard as Cappelli and Patrizio Cappelli wears Formosa suits cut by the older Formosa who is now deceased. His suit that I saw was extremely elegant. The son now runs Formosa, however, and the stuff in the shop today looked a lot different, much tighter and more wasp-waisted. I think there is a generational issue in Naples, true of the Solitos, Rubinaccis, Ambrosis and maybe others. The older men like drapier, easier clothes. The sons like things a lot tighter. Like I said, I am Luigi Solito's customer, and treated as such by his father, but I made it clear from the beginning that I wanted the "gray hair" model and that is what I got.

Then you have Rubolino and Sabino, who cut the lean, sharpy look by default. The former is not well know beyond Naples. The clothes are really "slick" in a bad way. I wish I had remembered to look in to Marigliani, which is on the same street as Rubinacci, but I forgot.

There is also Eddy Monetti, which started as a tailor but is now a luxury goods conglomerate. The clothes looked almost ... ugly to me. Sorry. Famous Naples brand, though. Gennaro Solito had a book on Neapolitan tailoring (not the new Rubinacci book, more on that later) that showed pics of Monetti clothes from the '50s and '60s that DocHolliday would have loved. I could see the appeal though I would never have worn them. I was surprised to see so many photos of men wearing Neapolitan single-peak jackets. You NEVER see that in the city today. Also, they used to be really into their formal wear. Lots of pics of men in strollers (apparently they do exist, Sator). Actually, I saw a tailcoat at one place, and Mina was making a morning coat at hers. Apparently the musicians at the San Carlo are big clients of the tailors.

Anyway, Solito was proud of that book because it treated him kindly. He doesn't have the brand longevity of Naples' half a dozen or so really famous names but he is respected and he seems proud of his position in the sartorial firmament there.

Oh, and finally, there are lots of Naples legends about tailors in the Spanish Quarter who will make you a suit for half or less what Solito charges (which is already half or less than Rubinacci) and will do an even better job. I have no idea if this is true. I saw zero tailor shops in the Spanish quarter. If they are there, they are all in the apartments (there aren't any courtyards because there aren't any palazzos; it's a slum). I will leave it to someone else to investigate this. Bresch?

That's it for the tailors unless I think of anything else.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:34 pm

From Solito I walked to Ambrosi's. They live at the southern end of the Spanish Quarter. Did not appear dangerous at all. The work out if the home. One room is dedicated to cutting and sewing, and there were three of them (father, mother, son) all working when I got there. There was also a man from Seoul there sort of "interning" and helping out for a month. He is going to help Salvatore drum up more business in Asia. Nice guy. Wore the slimmest pants I have ever seen.

This was the first time I had met the father. Again, the generation gap was apparent. Salvatore had on a very slim shirt and slim trousers. The father had on an almost blousy blue shirt and much fuller trousers. They had altered some stuff for me and cut me a new pattern since I have lost weight since my first was made. So the new pants were all basted. Antonio (dad) took a more active role in the fitting than Gennaro Solito had. He actually changed my pattern quite a bit. I am excited to see the result.

I spent a lot of time talking to Salvatore about his grand plans for expanding the business. This is probably the place to say, to all frustrated Ambrosi/Solito customers, that I did my best to have a "heart to heart" with both of them about reliability. My main message was: Don't try to come four for five times a year if that is too hard. Just come twice a year but make the visits regular, always in the same months. They said they understood. We shall see.

From there I walked to Chiaia. This is both a street and a district. The street connects the central district to the Chiaia district. It's hard to explain but it's a few dozen feet below the main street level of the town, like a trench or something. It's all shops and quite lovely. To get to it you literally take an elevator down. Strange.

OK, Via Filangieri is the 5th Ave, Rodeo Drive of Naples. It's quite short, and many of the nicest shops are on it. Rubinacci rather grandly anchors the NW corner at the top of the hill.

This is in the running for most beautiful store in the world. It really stands out among its peers for being far more opulent in every way. It reminds me a little of Hermes in that respect. It's not just the merchandise but the decor. Everything is absolutely top notch and high quality.

The fabled cloth room is astounding. You need a ladder to get to the upper shelves. Incredible variety.

OK, as to the merch. There are tons of ties. 100 E, 120 for cashmere. The make is different than the typical Naples tie, narrower either no lining or a very slight lining, no tipping and hand rolled edges. The selection is vast and close to faultless. It's also slightly atypical. I know someone will chime in and say "There is no Naples style" but I beg to differ. What we all know as the archetypal Marinella print -- heavy twill with a conservative flower or figured pattern -- is the official tie of the city. All the best stores sell tons of those. Wovens are available but outnumbered ten to one or more. There no cartoon prints or geometrics or giant wall paintings. You know this style instantly when you see it. (There were, however, in the more downmarket shops, lots of really hideous satiny stripes. Saw a lot of these on the street too.) Rubinacci does not sell this tie, or not many. He seems to have gone out of his way to select silks that are just a little different but still conservative and elegant. It's a tie collection that is unique in my experience. The selection in Naples was, IMO, quite a bit nicer than his selection in London.

They have several house designs for pocket squares which I gather never change. HMS Victory of course, the map of the Med, and one that shows the ceiling fresco of the Teatro San Carlo. The color palates were all so similar that I only bought one.

Also tons of accessories like scarves, socks, knitwear and the like. Also lots of RTW trousers, No shirts that I saw. Beautiful women's scarves. Some of the stuff was too "opulent" for my taste. But the only things I saw that really didn't work, didn't belong there (IMO) were the shoes. Very EYE-talian, sharp-lasted, Blake-soled and almost flashy. The better dressed men in Naples in my observation tend to wear heavier English shoes. The like bluchers, double soles and round toes. This is in fact what Mariano himself wears so it was odd to see those slick fashiony shoes in the store.

From there, Marinella. I actually went in more than once but no need to differentiate the visits. It's on a street that fronts a park which fronts the bay. It's really tiny. 10 feet square maybe. There are two large tables at right angles and a half dozen or so staff behind them. You tell them what kind of tie you want (silk or cashmere, print or woven, color, etc) and they haul out a giant wood drawer with dozens in that vein and put it on the table. Each table can hold two of these drawers at a time. I would say that no more than 8 customers can fit into the store at once and of them only 4-5 can get to the table.

There is a guy outside in ... livery ... I don't know what else to call it ... who directs traffic into and out of the shop. He is like a bouncer. He won't let you in if it is too crowded. Which it often is.

OK, the ties have been described above. To elaborate a bit, they are all made from heavy silk twill, woven and printed in England. It's a forum meme that "Marinella is made by Drake!!1!1!!" but I doubt this. I saw the workrooms. I saw ties being carried by hand from the work rooms to the show room en masse. Certainly, all the silk comes from England. They not only do not try to hide this, they are proud of it. They see it as a selling point. Maybe Drake has made some in the past and maybe they still do. But I can tell you from direct observation that they are making ties by the boatload in Naples.

The width is typically 9 cm, they are cut with that Italian "bottle" shape to give fullness under the knot (Rubinacci ties are not), the are fully lined and self-tipped. This is much more like the ties most of use are used to.

In the little main shop they also sell scarves, pocket squares, knitwear, and leather goods. They have a small selection of shoes, all Churches, definitely the best models, again, mostly on the heavy side, nothing modern or crazy. Around the corner, into another courtyard, and up some steps is a much larger shop where they have tons of stuff--outerwear, accessories, cuff links, long ties, bow ties, and tons and tons of silks for bespoke. It was a great store.

On Saturday, Maurizio Marinella was behind the counter. Blue SB 3 patch coat, blue candy stripe BD shirt (points unbuttoned), dark blue print tie, gray flannel pants. He spoke to me in Italian when I came in and when I stammered out my pidgin reply he switched to English. He recognized my suit as Solito instantly. He helped me pick out three ties, all of which were proxied.
Last edited by manton on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Cappelli is in a courtyard in Chiaia, not visible from the street. When you enter you are in a narrow hall that is like a balcony. Many of the bespoke silks are up here on bookshelves. They also have a huge selection of cashmeres and wools. Downstairs are the RTW ties, mostly prints in the Marinella vein and also some stripes. The prints are extremely similar to Marinella's and I even noticed in several cases identical silk being used. There is also a small workroom in back.

Patrizio Cappelli had my number immediately and pulled out from some hidden place a box of cashmere ties with classic patterns, including lots of shepherd's checks and houndstooths. Some gorgeous stuff. I bought three but could have bought more. There was hardly a tie in the whole store I would not have worn.

Mina took me in there and introduced me as a devotee of their ties, which is true. To thank her for selling his product so well in NY, Patrizio gave her a scarf. He also gave me a pocket square.

Just to round out the shopping:

Merolla and Finnamore were the only shirtmakers I visited. The latter is small shop selling RTW and bespoke seems like an afterthought. The former is all bespoke. Beautiful stuff. Handsewn seams, handmade buttonholes, big buttons, soft roll collars--the true Naples shirt it seemed to me. Tons of Riva cloth in there. Also Bonfanti. You could have any color you like so long as it's blue. J/k, though blues certainly dominated.

Talarico the umbrella maker has two locations, both inside courtyards off Via Toledo. One location sells rather cheap umbrellas. The other has the "good stuff." Not in the market because I love my Smith (which they may well have made anyway).

Cesare Attolini: entrance in Via Filangieri, shop on the first floor. Very luxe RTW shop. They also do MTM. Honestly, everything looked a little too internationally homogeonized. I did not recognize much local flair here. But it is one of Naples' most famous names. The history of the brand is well known. I suppose, good for them that they were able to make some money out of the name. Seems kind of a shame to me that such great name in Italian tailoring is now so ... bland.

There is a cloth shop in Filangieri called Argento. 100% English goods, stacks of it. They had my now-sold out Scabal Shetland gun club, two lengths. Act fast. Gun clubs were popular there, and seemed popular in the city, BTW.

Two shops that get no love online but that are worth mentioning:

1) Mattabisch, up the Via Toledo in Piazza Dante (a beautiful space that is really a mess, sadly). Great accessories and shirts here.

2) M. Cilento. This is apparently the oldest men's store in Italy, founded in 1780. It is in a bad location, if you ask me, on a street dominated by government buildings well to the east of any real shopping district. There are two locations, separated by an alley. There is a tiny one that sells ties and links and the like. The larger store has tons of stuff of every description. The ties are, you guessed it, Napoli style. English printed silk, in the style of Marinella. Mattabisch had lots of these as well. There were in fact a great many shops selling these ties. In the main store, they had everything. Shoes were Lobb, EG and Alden, highly edited selection of each, only conservative models, emphasis on bluchers and brogues. They had Alden longwing in #8, of course. As at Marinella, their one concession to black was a punch cap oxford. They also sold, no joke, RTW button boots--black with gray suede tops. They make their own bespoke shoes, the only such maker I found in the city apart from Scafora. In the back they had an astounding selection of vintage tweed and an in-house tailor. The styling appeared to be classic Naples, which is supposed to not exist but to my eye nonetheless does exist.

Then amidst all the shlock on the Via Toledo there are lot of great little stores, such as Buonanno (shirts, ties and knits) and some others whose names I forget. There was no shortage of little places I had never heard of with interesting stuff. Heavy emphasis on English goods. One store specialized in rainwear. I think it was called Fox but I can't remember.

Finally, as to how they dressed: I will take a contrarian view here. They dress better than they are given credit for here, and there is some consistency. This is not to say uniformity. But many of the elements we think of as Naples style you do see with some frequency on the streets. For instance, that ubiquitious silk print tie: they really do wear those. Not everybody, maybe not even half, but they are very, very common. They really do wear BDs with the collar undone. Solito did this, as did Mariano Rubinacci. On the street, it was probably less than 50% of the BDs I saw, but it was still common.

I had a hard time gettng a good look at many jackets. The weather was around 60 but all the men had on coats of some kind or another. 3/4 coats--either Barbours or in that style--were everywhere. Blue was more popular than green. A lot of them also had scarves bundled around there necks. 60! I would have melted. As it was, I was uncomfortable in a light flannel jacket half the time. They thought it was winter.

There was a typical silhouette on the jackets that had to be the local RTW: straight shoulder, columnar silhouette, true 3 with short lapels. This often had a long front balance and was buttoned at the top only. Awful. The bespoke (or good RTW) looked like what we expect from Naples: 3 roll 2, high gorge, long front dart, negative belly to the lapel. One thing I liked: a popular color was a sort of indescribable dark worsted that looked brown, olive and gray all at once. You never see this in SR. Typically worn with a white shirt and navy tie. I wish I knew what it was or how to get some.

They tended to wear their pants with a ridiculous amount of break. Shoes were a weak link. You'd see lots of guys with nice suits and everything else wearing, literally, Hush Puppies or some other really crappy footwear. At least no duck billed monstrosities. Good shoes, as noted, tended to be heavy bluchers, often in suede.

That's it. If I think of anything else, I will post it.
Gruto

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:47 pm

manton wrote:
Image[/quote]

These look really great, especially the DB. The narrow cut flatter your tall frame. Stop buying English drape :D
manton

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Gruto wrote:Stop buying English drape :D
Blasphemer!
Yale Cameron

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Manton, How long would one need to be in naples to get a suit made by Solito or Rubinacci (assuming selecting cloth on the first day from in stock cloth)? Same question with Merolla for shirts.
alden

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:48 pm

Stop buying English drape :D
I agree! 8)

Great story about Naples, for the good and the bad, its a great city to visit. But when in doubt, go to Rome.

I know the color worsted you refer to and I will see about finding some.

The Solito clothes look very good. I think the closer cut exaggerates your slimness. Remember you are a foot taller than the average Neapolitan, but you weigh the same as they do. :D (I like the way your other clothes fill you out.)

The coffee in Naples is great as it is everywhere in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies thanks to the Spaniards and Arabs. If you do not want sugar, ask for an amaro.

Reliability is the great weakness of the Naples merchants (other than Rubinacci and the departed Mario Formosa.) Unfortunately it is so much a part of life in S. Italy that notwithstanding the promises, things will not change. The reason why I suggested Rubinacci many years ago to LL members, who were making their first visits, had nothing to do with the clothes but for the hope of better (if not perfect) reliability. By the way, this lack of reliability is pretty much a central theme of all the South's problems and reaches from tradespeople to the highest level of government (if that is what you call it.)

When you come back to Naples, don't. Come to Sicily instead.

Cheers

Michael
angelo

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Manton wrote
Oh, and finally, there are lots of Naples legends about tailors in the Spanish Quarter who will make you a suit for half or less what Solito charges (which is already half or less than Rubinacci) and will do an even better job. I have no idea if this is true. I saw zero tailor shops in the Spanish quarter. If they are there, they are all in the apartments (there aren't any courtyards because there aren't any palazzos; it's a slum). I will leave it to someone else to investigate this. Bresch?
Manton,
the above is not a legend. There are really in the Spanish Quarters tailors that will make you a suit for half what Solito , Formosa or other famous neapolitan tailors such as Pirozzi charge (eventually a quarter or less than Rubinacci); they do not have shops on the streets and work in very little apartments (sometimes represented by one room only).On average their suits are very good and very neapolitan as far as cutting and style. My tailor is one of these;I live in Genova -Italy but I was born and educated in Naples and I have always had my bespoke suits , jackets and trousers tailored in Naples.
It is a bit difficult for non Neapolitans and foreigners to reach one of these tailors unless they are introduced by friends or persons they could know that are already their customers (a little treasure to be discovered).This reality is kept alive by the fact that many neapolitans, even if not wealthy, have as cultural heritage the habit of having bespoke suits. Unfortunately , in the last years depending on the great national and international of neapolitan tailoring , the prices of tailored suits at the Spanish Quarters have gone up and I am affraid that in the coming years they will become much less affordable.

Angelo
uppercase

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:50 pm

I was very glad to read that Manton made it to Napoli to have suits made and plunder its sartorial treasures.

I suspect that he's found the Italian culture and aesthetic most simpatico to his own.

I'm certain that this is only the first of many future annual trips to his Italian tailors. Apart from the hidden tailors in Napoli's Spanish Quarter, the temptations of Sicilia, his next pilgrimage will no doubt first be to the temple of Caraceni Roma.

Is it 'goodbye, London'?
  • Information